Ronald Erskine Vail
August 8, 1954 - May 5, 2009

It has been a terribly sad, sad and even sadder day for us. Joe's dad passed away, very unexpected, but also very peacefully. For that, we praise the Lord. He was 54 years old. In the Bible, God promises 70 years. Ronnie was so wonderful, God wanted him early!
Ronnie was the father of two boys. Joe is not his biological son, but I'd like to see you tell either one of them that. He had five step-children, all who were greatful for the woman he made their mother and the father he was to them. He had eleven grandchildren ranging in age from 24 to 2.
So many things that happened yesterday allowed us to have peace that God knows what he is doing. Joe was with a friend of his who is a paramedic when he got the call. Greg was able to make phone calls to find out what was going on and give us a better understanding of this monumentous disaster in our lives. Dave, to whom was a high school classmate of Joe's, was the first responder to the house. He gave us reassurance that Ronnie did not suffer in death. Through these and many other occurances, we have "peace that passes all understanding." I now know what "peace that passes all understanding" means. Until you have experienced it, you don't really know what it is. We have sadness. Loads of sadness, but peace.
I have not been able to cry much. It just won't come to me. I know I will. I guess I'm just not ready. It all still seems so surreal. Picking out burial plots and caskets and flowers felt like shopping for a pair of new shoes that I don't really want. I am in taskmaster mode. Have we forgotten anything, anyone, any stone left unturned? We are recieving family and friends tomorrow and I am sure the magnitude of this tragedy in our lives will hit me like an avalanche very soon.
Joe has been stellar and stoic. He has acted as only an oldest child would. He has supported his baby brother ( who by the way isn't so much of a baby!) and his stepmom. He has handled situations with grace and fortitude. He has made decisions that no one want to have to make in their thirties. He is amazing. He has only allowed his emotions to get in his way when no one needs him. He can fall to pieces then and only then.
Please keep our family in your prayers.

No comments:
Post a Comment