The Dillards

The Dillards

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas Trip - Day 7

I know I missed Day 4. I'll get back to it. Dunno what happened, but hey, I have been sleep deprived, so . . .
Anyway, day 7 consisted of Caden and I sleeping in . . .slightly. Joe, Coy and Chase headed downtown to the Holocaust Museum. Coy and I had studied, quite extensively the Holocaust, but Caden was under the suggested age to visit. They said it was a great museum. They each got passports from a victim of the Holocaust. Chase's victim survived, Joe's and Coy's were killed in a gas chamber. Both were about 4 years old. What a sad time in history.
Caden and I met up with them and we hit the National Archives. We saw the Magna Carta, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence, the Emmancipation Proclamation, the Lousiana Purchase and scores of other important documents. The Declaration of Independence is written on sheep skin, which is very durable. The reason it is so fragile is the ink. It is water-based therefore, very delicate!
Following the National Archives, we headed off to The National Air and Space Museum. Not so much my thing and we were too tired to really get into it all. The boys enjoyed looking at all the planes. We went into a skylab and the cockpit of an airplane. We saw the Wright Brothers plane, the first to fly a controlled flight. We took off for dinner and headed back to the hotel.

No comments: