The Dillards

The Dillards

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gardening

So, we planted a garden. Now, I am a city girl. I don't know a single thing about growing vegetables. I decided with gas prices and food costs on the rise, we will soon be eating a meatless Hamburger Helper for dinner each night if we didn't grow a garden. Our park owner was kind enough to give us a plot, but I had to plant banana peppers and tomatoes for him!
I wish I thought to take pictures while we were tilling and planting, but I didn't. We planted corn, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries (already not doing so well), cantalope, watermelon, honey dew, pumpkin and sunflowers. It is not a very large garden, we only have a few of each veggie or fruit. We have an entire section dedicated to corn because I read directions! (giggle) Apparently, it is better to plant several short rows of corn than one long row which was the original plan. Coy, Caden and myself planted the garden and had a blast. Caden planted the sunflowers all by himself, so we shall see about those. Coy planted green beans and we, too, shall see about these!
Here are a few pictures of our garden currently, I will update regularly! This is a picture of one of Caden's Sunflowers! He was so excited when we found it this morning!
This is a Banana Pepper, it has a bloom!
This is a tomato plant, it has a bloom too!

1 comment:

The Buster Bunch said...

Wow! I think that's great! I am very impressed. I've thought about having a garden but I didn't want to do the work to prepare it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.